[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 28 20:12:30 UTC 2016

On 09/28/2016 12:35 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> I would also ask for this file to be installable in the zoneinfo
> directory.  On many systems it is impossible to figure out what
> version of tzdata they use.

It should be installable, for those who want to install it there. There
is a bit of fun if someone runs the shell command 'TZ="version" date';
this ends up being equivalent to 'TZ="GMT0" date' in the reference
implementation (assuming the version number does not begin with "TZif"!).

If you do that sort of thing and have local patches, it may take some
effort to ensure the version info is correct. One possibility is to use
Git, commit your local changes before installing, and have a reliable
way to map the installed version numbers back to your own repository.