[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Wed Sep 28 22:24:37 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016, Paul Eggert wrote:

> On 09/28/2016 11:28 AM, Howard Hinnant wrote:
> > The version file does not appear in the uncompressed tzdata2016g database.
>
> It is in the tzdb-2016g.tar.lz and tzcode2016g.tar.gz tarballs, so you
> can grab it from there for now. I omitted it from the data tarball
> because it is not needed for data. This was done as part of the patch
> for more-accurate release numbers circulated on Sept. 5
> <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-September/024054.html>.

I think it makes much more sense to put it in the data file, then in the
code file. The data file (or its contents) is what is being distributed,
and hence the versioning of that makes IMO more sense.

> Now that you mention it, it's a good idea to put the version file into
> the data tarball too, as a bit of metadata info. I installed the
> attached patch to do that, so that in future releases the version file
> should be in all three tarballs.

+1

> This sort of problem may help to explain why I prefer the one-tarball
> format. With one tarball you don't need to worry about which files go
> into which tarballs, and that lessens the number of distribution
> glitches.

I don't mind a one tarball format either, as long as it is in a
reasonable format (gz, not lz).

cheers,
Derick

--