[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 29 01:30:26 UTC 2016

On 09/28/2016 02:30 PM, Steve Summit wrote:
> Maybe install it in the zoneinfo dir as ".version"?

Perhaps we should put some syntax into the installed file, so that no
matter what the version is, the file can't be misinterpreted as a tz
binary file. For example, the file could be a line of the form
"version='V'" rather than just "V", and we could call the file
"version.sh" so that people expect it to use shell script syntax. This
would give us more freedom to extend the file's format later.

Calling the file "version.sh" also makes it clearer that it's not a
normal data file, whose names do not contain ".". It might be better to
do it that way, than to use a leading "." and make the file hidden.