[tz] tzdata2016g missing version information

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:59:43 UTC 2016

On 09/29/2016 01:10 AM, Dempsey, Peter wrote:
> I am tried to update the time zone database on my PC using the Oracle
> TimeZone Updater but was unable to because of an error given about the
> VERSION. Below is the output from the command:

Yes, it appears that the Oracle software assumed that the Makefile would
have a VERSION line that specifies the version number. That assumption
was never documented or guaranteed and is no longer valid. Perhaps you
can work around the problem by modifying the Makefile to say "VERSION =
2016g" (I don't have the Oracle software and so can't easily test this).
We are discussing a better way to address this problem in the future.