[tz] Are tzdata2016g & tzdata-latest missing the VERSION file?

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Sep 30 21:00:41 UTC 2016

Oh, I also meant to say in that last message that I don't think it really
matters where in the distribution the version identifier is placed.
Whether it is in a Makefile, or a version,h or version.txt, or even
just in the NEWS, the only real equirement is that the location be fixed
once and then not changed (just its value updated) - the redistributors
will work out whatever is needed for their systems and add whatever mechanism
is needed to get the version info from wherever it is put by the tz project
to wherever they want to store it.   That's what it sounds like TZUpdater was
doing already - just without being aware that the data they wre using wasn't
something that was considered stable here.

kre