[tz] Potted history of timekeeping from the BBC

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Tue Apr 4 15:07:49 UTC 2017

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> John> (If you're ever near Greenwich I recommend visiting the Royal
> John> Observatory, taking the obligatory foot-in-both-hemispheres selfie
> John> and then going to look at the clocks.)
>
> And you should also note that the location where they charge you to take
> that photograph is about 20 meters to the west of where it should be.
> At least, I presume my modern smartphone's GPS is fairly accurate, as
> well as having looked it up on Google Earth later.

I always thought that the meridian line as marked is 0° in *OSGB36*, not
WGS84 which is what GPS uses:

http://theconversation.com/heres-why-the-greenwich-prime-meridian-is-actually-in-the-wrong-place-46302
http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/15/oops-the-greenwich-meridian-line-is-in-the-wrong-place-5344251/

cheers,