[tz] Israel POSIX timezone string error on release 2017b?

André Domingos Brízido andre-d-brizido at alticelabs.com
Fri Aug 4 16:39:21 UTC 2017

Hello

According to the Linux manual (http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/tzfile.5.html) the last line of the time zone database may contain the POSIX timezone string, which is the case of the files generated by following the instructions in https://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tz-link.html
I've downloaded the latest release (2017b) and I obtain the following POSIX string for Israel:

[/usr/share/zoneinfo]# tail -n 1 Israel
IST-2IDT,M3.4.4/26,M10.5.0

But if I understood correctly, the POSIX specification (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/) states that the value '26' is out of range. It should  be between zero and 24.

My linux system does not display the correct timezone if I use the string 'IST-2IDT,M3.4.4/26,M10.5.0' as the contents of /etc/TZ.

Best regards
Andre Brizido