[tz] Israel POSIX timezone string error on release 2017b?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Aug 5 03:38:00 UTC 2017

André Domingos Brízido wrote:
> According to the Linux manual (http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/tzfile.5.html)

That manual is out of date, and documents only up through tzdb version 2. You're
looking at a version 3 file. I sent a bug report to mtk.manpages at gmail.com
suggesting that they update their copy of the man page. Also, I spruced up the
tzdb man page as described here:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-August/025207.html

This should make it easier for their project to simply copy the upstream file.

> My linux system does not display the correct timezone if I use the string 'IST-2IDT,M3.4.4/26,M10.5.0' as the contents of /etc/TZ.

That TZ setting works for me, if I set the TZ environment variable to it. I am
using Fedora 26, which uses glibc 2.25. By mentioning "/etc/TZ" I suspect you
are using some other C library. Which C library and version number is it? We can
send its maintainers a bug report.