[tz] Reason for removal of several TZ

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 4 07:52:16 UTC 2017

David Patte ₯ wrote:
> they are designations currently seem to be decided at whim by the tz maintainers
> according to their belief of what the most locals would use if they spoke English

It's not just locals; it's English-speakers in general.

> there should be clear rules

Guidelines are here:

https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html

Also see the most recent development version here:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/master/theory.html

> the db should record the official political designation
Although we cannot avoid politics entirely, we should strive to avoid as much as
possible in tzdb. For example, tzdb should not take any position on Israel vs
Palestine, North Korea vs South Korea, or Canada vs the United States. It's not
our job to address such disputes and it would be a waste of our limited
resources if the disputes got in the way of our job.