[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 8 06:38:09 UTC 2017

On 12/05/2017 02:16 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> No, I meant "Irish Standard Time". Ireland is "odd" because their
> standard time is what the rest of the British Isles calls "Summer Time"
> (BST). So Ireland uses "Irish Standard Time" and "GMT".
Thanks for pointing this out; I was unaware that Ireland observes negative
daylight-saving time in winter, instead of positive daylight-saving time in
summer. This arguably is clearer than the common practice in North America and
Europe, where "standard time" is observed only in a relatively small fraction of
the year. I installed the attached proposed patch to fix the commentary along
the lines that you suggested, and to change tm_isdst as well. UT offsets and
abbreviations are unaffected by this change.