[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 12:12:36 UTC 2017

On 10/12/17 07:21, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 12/09/2017 01:41 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Does it matter what is labelled "Standard" by politicians making points?
>
> A bit, but what's more important is common practice among English-speakers.
>
> For what it's worth, a Google search from UCLA today found 20 hits for
> the search '"Irish Standard Time IST" site:ie', and 9 hits for '"Irish
> Summer Time IST" site:ie'. The former hits include the Limerick Leader,
> the Dublin City Council, the Commission for Energy Regulation, and
> Gaelectric; the latter include Air Accident Investigation Unit Ireland
> and the School of Physics,Trinity College Dublin. If I change the
> spelling of the query to find more matches, '"Irish Standard Time" IST
> site:ie' finds 32 hits, and '"Irish Summer Time IST" site:ie' finds 22
> hits. Another example that includes sources outside the Ireland
> top-level domain: '"Irish Standard Time" IST' has about 25,800 hits, and
> '"Irish Summer Time" IST' has about 11,100 hits. So these
> admittedly-crude Google searches suggest that "Irish Standard Time" is
> the more-common interpretation of IST in Ireland.

Since the tzdb is 'non-political', common interpretation can be taken as
the rule, and since tzdb is only deemed to be accurate for dates since
1970, information such as the Irish Summer Time Act of 1925 are also out
of scope. As Stephen says, EU law currently applies to the whole of the
EU area, and defines daylight saving ( question perhaps is when did that
apply to Ireland? ) so should there be any timezones other than a single
European time in the tzdb database?

Pre-1970 history still needs a home somewhere and is still as relevant
today as we refer back to pre-1970 times regularly and there IS a
growing archive of legal statutes that document the political decisions
on who that history changed.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL