[tz] Irish Standard Time vs Irish Summer Time

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 12 15:53:25 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-12 13:07, Clive D.W. Feather wrote about the dst bit:

> Of course, since the EU doesn't have "Daylight Saving Time", the flag
> should be zero throughout the year in the EU.

    Yes, I think this is a valid and clear interpretation.
    But it would be English-oriented because only the US, Canada,
    the Kiwis and a few others could enjoy the dst bit.

    A more international approach would allow translations, such
    as summer time (British) and yaz saati (Turkish). And to
    make it even more international, one could use a functional
    definition such as "a temporarily advanced time scale, so
    as to extend the daylit evening hours" (or something better).

    The problem I see with the search for translations of
    "daylight-saving time" and "standard time" is that we had to do
    it for an impracticable large number of languages in order to
    make the tzdb data language independent.

    Michael Deckers.