[tz] Kyiv

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 15 17:24:46 UTC 2017

On 12/15/2017 05:25 AM, John Hawkinson wrote:
> This issue is a little more difficult because the historical Kiev spelling is tied up in the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

Yes, quite true. If Germany were fighting a war in the Czech republic,
we might see similar patriotic requests to change Europe/Prague to
Europe/Praha, since the English spelling "Prague" came via the German
"Prag" rather than directly from the Czech "Praha" or from the old
Slavic "Práh". In that case too, I would follow the lead of what
English-language writers typically do. If they typically write "Prague",
then Prague it is.