[tz] setting TZ and calling localtime_r

Fri Dec 15 17:49:21 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-15 01:37, Steve Summit wrote:
> There's code in tzcode (and, I suspect not coincidentally,
> glibc's localtime implementation as well) to not call the
> internal version of tzset on calls to localtime_r, but rather
> only on calls to localtime.  The justification is that Posix says
> localtime_r doesn't need to update the global tzname variable.
>
> I don't have a copy of the Posix spec handy, so I can't check:
> does Posix also say that localtime_r doesn't need to check for
> and make use of a possibly-changed value of TZ?  As implemented
> (both in tzcode and glibc), it doesn't.  If a program calls
> localtime, then calls setenv to set a new value of TZ, then
> calls localtime again, it works as expected, but if it calls
> localtime_r, setenv, localtime_r, it doesn't.  (The workaround,
> of course, is to call localtime_r, setenv, tzset, localtime_r.)

Looks like localtime() SHALL but localtime_r() MAY set timezone information as
if by calling tzset(); from https://publications.opengroup.org/t101:

localtime|_r():

"[CX] [Option Start]  Local timezone information is used as though localtime()
calls tzset().

Unlike localtime(), the localtime_r() function is not required to set tzname. If
localtime_r() sets tzname, it shall also set daylight and timezone. If
localtime_r() does not set tzname, it shall not set daylight and shall not set
timezone. [Option End]"

tzset():

"APPLICATION USAGE

    Since the ctime(), localtime(), mktime(), strftime(), and strftime_l()
functions are required to set timezone information as if by calling tzset(),
there is no need for an explicit tzset() call before using these functions.
*However, portable applications should call tzset() explicitly before using
ctime_r() or localtime_r() because setting timezone information is optional for
those functions.*"

[My *emphasis*]

I no longer have any copies of ISO/IEC 9899:1999[2007] C as referenced by POSIX
2008, but 9899:2011[2012] still does not include tzset(), so all aspects of
local and daylight saving time determination are still implementation defined.
Normative Annex K "Bounds-checking interfaces" section K.3.8 defines a
localtime_s() function which appears identical to localtime_r(), and other ..._s
suffixed functions enabled by defining __STDC_LIB_EXT1__ like POSIX ..._r
suffixed functions, without any additional requirements.