[tz] Kyiv

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 09:36:14 UTC 2017

On 18/12/17 07:27, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Kiev or Kyiv?				http://www.infoukes.com/faq/kyiv-2/
>
> There is some argument on linguistic lists/groups that the name may have Iranian
> or Turkic origins, as the founding stories seem legendary or mythical.

My own preferred reference for names is still geonames, and while Kiev
is still tagged as the preferred name against entry 703448, 'hadjek'
changed the reference name from Kiev to Kyiv only in July this year
although there has been an occasional edit war using Київ back in 2006
to 2007 but the majority of changes are to Alternate names ... with now
there are several versions in some languages but only Kiev flagged as
'preferred'.

The bottom line is that there is no formal central database of names one
can use as a primary reference?
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=128141 is a
little at odds with http://www.geonames.org/703448/kyiv.html with both
are currently using Kyiv as the primary reference but giving Kiev as the
preferred name.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL