[tz] Brazil moves DST start to November

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 19 20:48:10 UTC 2017

On 12/18/2017 02:22 AM, Steffen Thorsen wrote:
> According to many media sources, next year's DST start in Brazil will
> move to the first Sunday of November, and it will stay like that for
> the years after.
Thanks very much for the heads-up. I installed the attached proposed
patch into tzdb's development version.

In September, RTTNews reported that Operador Nacional do Sistema
Elétrico (ONS) had done a preliminary study saying that the effect of
DST on Brazil's energy usage was trivial and decreasing; see
<http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/interestrates/BRAZIL-Government-Looks-Into-Giving-Up-On-Daylight-Saving-Time-1002405655>.
Although I assume this was part of a push to cancel DST entirely in
Brazil, it looks like the government decided to cancel just two or three
weeks' worth.