[tz] Transitions after those included in zoneinfo binaries?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Wed Dec 20 20:21:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017, at 06:55, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> Yes, pytz is working from the v1 standard and will fail around 2038. I
> won't be fixing this in pytz - Python now has the necessary hooks to
> include and correctly use a tzfile parser in Python core, so the work
> should happen there. I don't seem to have gotten around to it myself,
> so interested parties can join the Python datetime SIG at
> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/datetime-sig .

Speaking of... while doing something unrelated, I noticed that the current version of glibc shipping in Ubuntu fails in 2038 - for all later dates it uses the offset of the last transition as of December 31, 2038 (which is not the 32-bit limit - is that the point that zic stops putting explicit transitions in the 64-bit data by default?)