[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

John Hawkinson jhawk at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 10 02:51:24 UTC 2017

> > I'd like to put in a plug for having the tz string in the binary file
> > preceded by @(#) so that it appears when the what(1) utility is invoked.
>
> Does anyone still run systems with "what" or sccs on it?

Yes (to the former, not the latter), although that's beyond the point.
(It ships under MacOS and I have it on other systems, including Solaris
and NetBSD).

But the idea is to have the string displayable using a semi-standard
tool. That doesn't preclude doing something snazzier.
An argument could be made that ident(1) is a better choice, although
I don't think it really is, in part since it would require assigning a
pseudokeyword like $Tz: ... $.

> I stopped using "what" strings many years ago when "what" stopped
> being available on systems.  There does appear to be a package
> available called cssc which is compatible with sccs.

The BSD version is easily available.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson