[tz] Zone ID in binary (was Re: Version in zoneinfo files?)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 10 16:52:26 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 08:31 AM, J Andrew Lipscomb wrote:
> are the coordinates shown in the zone.tab file stable enough to use as IDs?

I doubt it, as they are updated from time to time, and I would guess
they're less stable than the English names. Most likely some of those
coordinates are typos that should be fixable. Most of those coordinates
came from Shanks, who (I suspect) rounded them to fit whatever crude
approximation his old database format was using.

Plus, people argue even about the coordinates! These can be just as
political as the name.