[tz] ISO 3166 (GB): United Kingdom

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Tue Feb 28 16:49:53 UTC 2017

On 28/02/17 13:21, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2017, Andreas Stieger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> the attached corrects the ISO 3166 short name from "Britain (UK)" to
>> "United Kingdom".
> The link at the top of iso3166.tab
> (http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/updates_on_iso_3166.htm)
> is a 404 now too. It probably should be
> https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search or something.
>
> That also suggests, that "GB" should really be "United Kingdom of Great
> Britain and Northern Ireland (the)" as per
> https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:GB — but that's a bit long :-)
>
> I do agree that this patch should be applied.

This came up a little while ago, possibly under a slightly different
guise, but as someone born and living in The United Kingdom of Great
Britain and North Ireland I'm quite happy with what's there at the
moment.   "United Kingdom" is not really any more correct than "Britain"
and I've used both when filling out forms.

There's never going to be a good single name for the place and
iso3166.tab's name is as good as any.

Amusingly, if you search for "GB" in https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#search
the "English short name" is truncated part way through the "N" of
"Northern".

jch