[tz] Definition for timezone Asia/Urumqi and Asia/Kashgar, CST, and other questions about Chinese timezones.

Arthur David Olson arthurdavidolson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 11:26:04 UTC 2017

> My understanding, from speaking to people who have stayed in the region,
> is that the distinction is highly ethnic and linguistic (Han/non-Han).

A proposal some years back: given the two languages involved, have two
zones, each named for the (distinct) English-language translation of the
involved language's name for the zone's most populous city. The reaction at
the time was that doing so would exacerbate political tensions in the
region, so the proposal was not acted on. It may be that times have changed
in this regard.

     @dashdashado