[tz] question about mktime_tzname()

Kees Dekker Kees.Dekker at infor.com
Fri Jan 13 21:02:40 UTC 2017

Thanks for your explanation and sharing this git knowledge (I'm a newbie regarding git). My surprise was mainly because zdump.c includes private.h, its code is thus shipped together with zdump.c, and still some code of private.h is duplicated. Anyhow, I'm a guest user, so I will off course respect your choice. I just shared my own surprise (no offence or disrespect intended). It is probably also somewhat a personal choice to choose between a false alarm warning on int a = strlen(str) (warning in 64-bit mode) and to use int a = (int)strelen(str) if we no for sure that str will never exceed max-signed-int. In our own code, we often use a code like if strlen(str) exceeds max-signed-int, then call assert(). Still not perfect, but if a value unintentionally exceeds an expected limit, you will get an abort/core dump. Even in the case of not using a cast, at runtime an overflow is silently ignored and may result in unexpected behavior. But again, I'm 'guest user' of your code.

I have to live with more platforms, as our product runs on it. In much regards, gcc is a 'perfect' compiler, but sometimes other platforms complain about other things (not covered by gcc). Each platform has its own odd things. I like to limit these changes to an absolute minimum, but may ask you to solve some. The world is not limited to Linux/gcc only :-).