[tz] [PROPOSED] Remove many invented abbreviations in 'asia'

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 16 20:35:53 UTC 2017

    On 2017-01-13 19:44, Paul Eggert proposed to use numeric
    instead of invented abbreviations.

    I have two questions regarding the proposal.

    The acronym WITA is used for UT + 08 h with Asia/Makassar
    before 1964, while it is not used for UT + 08 h with
    Asia/Pontianak before 1964, nor with Asia/Jakarta. This
    seems to be a bit unsystematic. Why not just avoid every
    proleptic use of WITA, as it is done for WIT (for UT + 09 h):

    Zone Asia/Makassar  7:57:36 -  LMT   1920
                        7:57:36 -  MMT   1932 Nov   # Macassar MT
                        8:00    -  +08   1942 Feb  9
                        9:00    -  +09   1945 Sep 23
   +                    8:00    -  +08   1964
                        8:00    -  WITA

    My other concern is the removal of the acronym JST for
    UT + 09 h in favor of +09 when used in occupied territory.
    Occupation is one of the few cases where the use of an
    acronym from a different region makes sense; and there is
    ample precedent with CET, CEST and its Rules in occupied
    territory. Using +09 as the acronym makes the agreement
    with JST a coincidence -- which it wasn't.

    Michael Deckers.