[tz] [PROPOSED] Remove many invented abbreviations in 'asia'

dikshie dikshie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:53:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Michael Deckers via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

>    On 2017-01-17 22:09, dikshie wrote:
>

>> [E]ven as native Indonesian, I don't know when Indonesia began to use
>> the abbreviation (WIB, WITA, and WIT).
>> President decree number 41 year 1987 does not mention the abbreviation
>> and I don't have original document of previous President decree
>> (President decree number 243 year 1963)   [1].
>

>    Thanks for the source which gives the full
>    names of the three time zones.
>
>    The decree of 1963 probably has established the
>    three time zones with UTC + 07 h, UTC + 08 h,
>    and UTC + 09 h. Before that time, the names
>    Waktu Indonesia Barat and Waktu Indonesia Tengah
>    would have made little sense because both
>    regions used UTC + 07:30 h.

Yes, Indonesia introduced three time zones:  Waktu Indonesia Barat,
Waktu Indonesia Tengah, and Waktu Indonesia Timur on from 1964
(President decree number 243 year 1963).

Before 1964,  Indonesia used six time zones (President decree number
152 year 1950):  Waktu Irian (GMT+9), Waktu Maluku (GMT+8:30), Waktu
Sulawesi/Celebes (GMT+8), Waktu Jawa (GMT+7:30), Waktu Sumatera
Selatan (GMT+7), and Waktu Sumatera Utara (GMT+6:30).

>    My point, however, was not the proleptic use of
>    WITA in itself but only its unsystematic
>    consequence in the proposed change to tzdb:
>       from 1948-05 until 1950-05, all three time
>       scales of Asia/Jakarta, Asia/Pontianak, and
>       Asia/Makassar agree with UTC + 08 h; but the
>       tzdb abbreviations are different: two use
>       +08, and one uses WITA.
>    This is unlikely to reflect local practice.

I tend to agree with you however I don't have formal documents
(president decree year 1950 and year 1963) in my hand.
Thus, I don't have legal reason for proposing tzdb abbreviation changes.

Best Regards,

Dikshie
note:
1.I sent email to several ministry offices asking for president decree
1950 and 1963. so far no reply.
2.I will try to phone next week.