[tz] Magallanes region from Chile will keep DST all year round

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 25 21:06:47 UTC 2017

On 01/25/2017 08:31 AM, John Haxby wrote:
> A release on the 15th of every month (for example; avoiding the
> beginning and end) would greatly simplify things for our support org

Your support org can already do that via a cron job (or equivalent) that
retrieves the current version from the development repository. Something
like the following shell script:

   { test -d tz || git clone https://github.com/eggert/tz; } &&
   cd tz &&
   git pull &&
   make version &&
   cat version

This grabs the latest development source code and data, and outputs its
version number. I just now ran the script, and its output was
"2016j-38-g46c2bbf", the current development version number.

Your support org can run a script like this on the 15th of every month,
or every day if they like. Or they can run it only intermittently, when
they see a change that is urgent for them even if it's not considered
urgent in general. The ICU folks can do this too, if they want.

An advantage to doing it this way, is that a support organization can
choose a schedule that's right for it. This is better than the tz
project imposing the same schedule on every downstream user, as no
single schedule will be right for everybody.