[tz] gcc 8 demanded patch (from NetBSD)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 10 23:29:15 UTC 2017

On 05/10/2017 09:35 AM, Steve Allen wrote:
> It is very hard to say what the ITU-R might or might not do.

Yes, and in the long run the current tz master is untenable, as it
follows the current ITU rules of at most one leap second per month (it
actually enforces 28 days minus 1 second).

If I've calculated things correctly, in ~1400 years tidal friction will
mean the average day will be about 33 ms longer than it is now, and if
we continued to follow the current rules we'd need to insert a leap
second roughly every 1/0.033 days, or about once every 30 days. There
wouldn't be enough months in the year to insert all the leap seconds
that we'd need. Something will have to give.