[tz] Looking for a way to cut down binary zoneinfo size. Does anyone have the way to?

Viktor Sergiienko singalen at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:16:03 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'm developing for a pretty small-sized embedded system, and 2.9M of
binaries is a bit too much for us.
The system never uses a date before 2007.

I estimate I can slim it down too 500K by cutting down the old data.

1. I made a script to cut down the source data: all the rules and all
the zonelines before 2001.
Compiling this data, I get a lot of errors like:

> "northamerica", line 2537: %s in ruleless zone
> "northamerica", line 2618: unruly zone

because some zones are left without rules, but with %s format in them.

2. I tried to modify zic itself, but apparently understanding it will
take me days.
Just setting min_year to 2001 results in bunch of

> can't determine time zone abbreviation to use just after until time

Does anyone have a ready solution?
Thanks!