[tz] Beginner's help request

Bradley White bww at acm.org
Thu Nov 2 08:08:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Daniel Ford <dfnojunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Then you can use any zoneinfo-aware 'localtime()' implementation to
> convert the absolute time to the local civil time."
>
> I've not yet found an Arduino library with such a function.  They all seem
> to operate from text data.  But I'll keep looking.

The library discussed in this list includes source code for one.

> There are many scenarios where one would want to know the exact time and
> not be near a PC or smartphone.

One may not be near another clock either.  But, I'm not here to debate the
market for your device ... I'm just trying to describe ways you might use
the TZ database as it exists.

> That would also require that their 'computer' be on 24/7, assuming the
> user wants to know the accurate time at any time of the day or night.

I don't think I implied such a requirement.  Occasional synchronization
should be sufficient, like existing radio clocks.