[tz] Apple watch crashes if daylight time ends

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Sun Nov 5 18:27:07 UTC 2017

Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> writes:

> https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/7aqiw1/series_3_crashes_when_asked_about_weather/

> Reports that Apple watchOS 4.1 crashes if asked about today's weather
> (not tomorrow's, etc.) in a zone which is about to end daylight time.

The Fitbit also does somewhat strange things when daylight saving time
starts or ends.  When it starts, it appears to either add an additional
hour to your measured sleep (with no sleep tracking data) or get confused
about the start time of sleep, and when it ends, it seems to overwrite an
hour of data when the clock falls back.

There are various web reports going back to 2015, so apparently it's just
not been a priority to fix for something that only happens twice a year.
(That said, the behavior seems to indicate that something inside the app
or database is using local time rather than UTC and then converting for
display, which seems like an odd choice to me.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>