[tz] Please include Montreal

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sun Nov 12 01:33:53 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-11 23:31:28 (+0000), Sébastien Bouchard wrote:
>It would be nice if Montreal was included in your database. There are
>smaller cities that are listed. I am using the latest Linux Mint Mate
>(18.2) and i had to choose Toronto to get into the right timezone.
>Montreal is not there.

Please read http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~eggert/tz/theory.html#naming and the
archives of this mailing list for many (many!) previous discussions
about the names of timezones.

Specifically: Montreal (like other parts of Quebec) has been in the same
time zone as Toronto since 1970.  If you need (often) correct timestamps
before 1970, you may be able to use the data in the `backzone` file,
though note the comment about correctness in there.

>It doesn't matter much to me but there are some people here who will
>find it strange. Toronto is like... in another country. It's about
>History and the French people in Canada...

The boundaries used in the tz database are the boundaries of time zones
since 1970.  While these boundaries are often in the same place as
political boundaries this is not always the case.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer