[tz] Please include Montreal

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 13 18:22:06 UTC 2017

On Nov 13, 2017, at 6:17 AM, Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:

> No.  Tzdb isn't a UI, and doesn't define a UI.  UI design is a separate activity, and it's not constrained by tzdb.  It would be perfectly valid to offer a UI that has 10k city names in it as a way to set the correct tz for your system.

Yes, that's precisely my point; I'm not making that as a rhetorical statement *against* "It's not a database of cities but of timezones.", meaning "you've said those UIs are invalid, and that's not the right thing to say", I'm making that as a straightforward statement, meaning "those UIs are broken" is a *legitimate* consequence of "It's not a database of cities but of timezones.", and those UIs - such as the Linux Mint UI that provoked the original complaint - should be fixed (doing what Apple has done, for example, would be better).