[tz] Please include Montreal

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 13 20:12:51 UTC 2017

On Nov 13, 2017, at 9:01 AM, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU> wrote:

>    Date:        Mon, 13 Nov 2017 14:20:08 +0000
>    From:        Paul G <paul at ganssle.io>
>
>  | I'm pretty sure that's what Guy is saying. If you define your UI based on
>  | tzdb zone names, your UI is broken.
>
> Not broken, just less than optimal for some user classes.   Like the
> type that want city XXX listed, because "that's our capital" or because
> "that lot don't speak French" or ...

What I said was

	So every UI that offers a list of tzdb names (or tzdb names slightly tweaked by replacing underscores with blanks, or whatever) as if it were a list of cities is broken.

If your UI is intended *solely* for people who understand what tzdb names are - i.e., they are strings that happen to use city names as a component, but are *not* identifiers for *your* city - then using tzdb names is OK.

If your UI is expected to be used by people who *aren't* familiar with tzdb names, it should not use tzdb names, whether it's a GUI interface or not.