[tz] Please include Montreal

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 13 23:31:16 UTC 2017

On Nov 13, 2017, at 3:09 PM, Ted Cabeen <ted at cabeen.org> wrote:

> While I agree with this, there is an additional challenge here.  If the user selects a name other than the localized form of the TZ name, you really should store that choice.

You really should store *some indication of the location that can be used to find a tzid*.  Whether it's the name of a city is another matter.

>  That way, if the location the user chose moves into a newly created zone due to a change in TZ rules, the user will not need to re-select their location.
>
> I have no idea how many of the big players (Apple, MS, Google, etc.) do this right.

Apple probably stores either 1) latitude and longitude (given that the default behavior of macOS, iOS, etc. is "pick a tzid zone based on where the machine is") or 2) something that refers to a location in the SQLite database I mentioned in another message.