[tz] FW: Beginner's help request

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Mon Nov 20 18:55:49 UTC 2017

Daniel Ford wrote:
>I've also decided, in the absence of a significant number of TZdb
>mirror sites, to host the unzipped files on my own server,

If you're doing that, you don't need the Arduino to process the files
of the tzdb distro directly.  You could process the files on your
server into a more Arduino-friendly format.  Host compiled tzfiles,
as an initial version.  For extra credit you could cut down the tzfiles
to cover only the restricted time span of interest to the clocks (ten
minutes ago to ten years hence).  Your downloads could be really short
in that case.  In fact, small enough to look at UDP transport, for bonus
network lightness.  DNS is also a viable transport mechanism for objects
that small.

-zefram