[tz] zic option to generate smaller output files?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Nov 23 16:40:31 UTC 2017

Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> writes:
> Ken Murchison wrote:
>> Would it also be possible to have this option (or a separate one) create the
>> first header and body (32-bit time values) with counts of zero?

> That'd be a change to the format, since the intent (as I understand it) is for
> the 32- and 64-bit parts to agree for timestamps in 32-bit range. (Although this
> isn't written down; it should be.) So this should be a separate zic option.

If part of the objective is to expose code that fails to deal with the
newer format options, I think you need to be able to generate files in
which (a) the 32-bit data isn't there, *and* (b) the TZ string actually
controls results for current timestamps in some popular zones.  If the
TZ string only determines post-2038 results in Outer Mongolia, it's
going to take a long time for anyone to notice if their tzdb client
code is broken.  I don't know if Paul's proposed behavior change would
make (b) true automatically or not.

			regards, tom lane