[tz] zic option to generate smaller output files?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 23 17:47:42 UTC 2017

Tom Lane wrote:
> I think you need to be able to generate files in
> which (a) the 32-bit data isn't there,*and*  (b) the TZ string actually
> controls results for current timestamps in some popular zones.

Yes, (b) is part of my proposal. Sorry I wasn't clear. Because the tzfile format
is independent of the current time and date, (b) follows the format's rules and
should work -- though you're right, some client-code bugs may be exposed by (b).

(a), on the other hand, is not clearly contemplated by tzfile(5), and may well
break non-buggy code in 32-bit clients that never look at the 64-bit data. So it
requires a change to the tzfile format and is a bigger deal.