[tz] A bill to move Polish time (Europe/Warsaw) permanently to UTC+2

Sergiusz Wolicki sergiusz at wolicki.com
Fri Oct 13 01:49:01 UTC 2017

<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32000L0084&qid=1507855163270&from=EN>
Article 1
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32000L0084&qid=1507855163270&from=EN>
of the EU directive 2000/84/EC on DST says:

*For the purposes of this Directive "summer-time period" shall mean the
period of the year during which clocks are put forward by 60 minutes
compared with the rest of the year.*

And the point (2) of the preamble says:

*(2) Given that the Member States apply summer-time arrangements, it is
important for the functioning of the internal market that a common date and
time for the beginning and end of the summer-time period be fixed
throughout the Community.*

The interpretation by lawyers who gave their positive opinion about this
bill is that the EU directive does not explicitly mandate DST. Its purpose
is to regulate DST start and end dates *given that* DST is observed in
member countries. The directive does not say whether this assumption must
be valid for all countries. If a country does not observe DST, then there
is no such thing as "*the period of the year during which clocks are put
forward by 60 minutes compared with the rest of the year*" in that country,
which means there is no summer-time and the directive simply does not apply.

This interpretation seems reasonable to me. I would expect that if DST were
mandatory in all member countries, the directive would have an article
stating this in clear text. I would welcome a link to a EU document which
explicitly states/concludes that DST is mandatory.

By the way, the bill was actually proposed by a party from the opposition
(PSL), not by government, and it was supposedly accepted by all members of
the committee, which are from all parties.

Thanks,
Sergiusz