[tz] Beginner's help request

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Oct 15 02:33:33 UTC 2017

Tim Parenti wrote:
> For your idea of a text-only table of already-parsed data, you may consider
> the zdump utility that is packaged in the distribution.

It sounds like what's wanted is more a table like this:

Africa/Abidjan	GMT0
Africa/Accra	GMT0
Africa/Algiers	CET-1
Africa/Bissau	GMT0
Africa/Cairo	EET-2
Africa/Casablanca	WET0WEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3
Africa/Ceuta	CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3

where the first column is the TZ name, and the second is the prediction of the
future behavior of clocks in the corresponding location, in nearly-POSIX TZ
string format. We don't distribute a table like that now, though I suppose we
could generate one automatically from the information that is already there.