[tz] Data loss on FTP Server

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 24 20:38:54 UTC 2017

On 10/24/2017 12:38 PM, Kim Davies wrote:
> Please try again now, it should be resolved.
Thanks for fixing that.

I no longer recommend FTP to get tzdb. FTP has trouble with firewalls,
does not support caching or accelerators, has an aging software base,
and has real problems with man-in-the-middle attacks. Although we don't
have immediate plans to remove the FTP servers, anybody who's currently
using them should put "switch to HTTPS for tzdb access" on their to-do
list, as I expect the FTP servers will be on their way out sooner or later.

For more about FTP and its problems, please see:

Springall D, Durumeric Z, Halderman JA. FTP: the forgotten cloud. 46th
DSN. 2016;503-13. https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/DSN.2016.52