[tz] Data loss on FTP Server

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Wed Oct 25 23:51:43 UTC 2017

<Paul.Koning at dell.com> writes:

> FTP works fine with firewalls, if the firewall software is any good.

Yeah, but it's a real pain in the ass to make work in the firewall
software since you have to track the PASV connection pair and tie it back
to the original connection.  The FTP wire protocol is kind of awful.  It
was designed for a much different era of the Internet.

> If you want to consider something else that is functionally comparable
> with FTP, that's fine.  Does SFTP?  I don't really know it.  But HTTP
> isn't a functional replacement for FTP at all.

Anonymous rsync doesn't give you the full capabilities of FTP, but it does
give you the file listing part, and I suspect would be enough to do the
things you're doing with FTP in a standardized way.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>