[tz] Turks & Caicos to resume DST; details unclear

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 31 04:05:55 UTC 2017

I wrote on 2017-07-22:
> When the cabinet and/or the Turks & Caicos Weekly News get around to publishing
> the details of the decision, we should be able to update tzdb to reflect this
> change with some accuracy.

Today the T&C Weekly News published the following announcement that the
premier's office made before the hurricanes:

"Cabinet has taken a decision on July 19, 2017, to reinstate the previous time
zone of GMT-5 to take effect from November 5, 2018. This will result in seasonal
time change to daylight saving time aligning with the Eastern Time zone of the USA."

http://tcweeklynews.com/clocks-to-go-back-an-hour-in-daylights-savings-time-returns-p8250-127.htm

This doesn't sound plausible, since in 2018 the US is scheduled to switch back
on November 4. Presumably the "November 5" is a typo. Perhaps they got confused
because November 5 is the correct date for 2017.