[tz] Beginner's help request

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sun Oct 15 00:22:02 UTC 2017

Daniel,

Just a short message to help you get quickly started along the right path.

A guide to interpreting the source data can be found in tz-how-to.html; I'm
not sure offhand whether that's in the particular tar file you have, but a
development version is available from https://github.com/eggert/tz/b
lob/master/tz-how-to.html

For your idea of a text-only table of already-parsed data, you may consider
the zdump utility that is packaged in the distribution. For your example,
to obtain the offsets for Australia/Hobart for 2017 only:

$ zdump -vc 2017,2018 Australia/Hobart
Australia/Hobart  -9223372036854775808 = NULL
Australia/Hobart  -9223372036854689408 = NULL
Australia/Hobart  Sat Apr  1 15:59:59 2017 UTC = Sun Apr  2 02:59:59 2017
AEDT isdst=1 gmtoff=39600
Australia/Hobart  Sat Apr  1 16:00:00 2017 UTC = Sun Apr  2 02:00:00 2017
AEST isdst=0 gmtoff=36000
Australia/Hobart  Sat Sep 30 15:59:59 2017 UTC = Sun Oct  1 01:59:59 2017
AEST isdst=0 gmtoff=36000
Australia/Hobart  Sat Sep 30 16:00:00 2017 UTC = Sun Oct  1 03:00:00 2017
AEDT isdst=1 gmtoff=39600
Australia/Hobart  9223372036854689407 = NULL
Australia/Hobart  9223372036854775807 = NULL

--
Tim Parenti
sent from my Android phone