[tz] Error in the Time Zone Database

serhii.demediuk at cyberpolice.gov.ua serhii.demediuk at cyberpolice.gov.ua
Wed Dec 5 19:21:02 UTC 2018

Cyberpolice Department of National Police of Ukraine presents its compliments and wish to inform your organization regarding the following recent change.

Information posted at https://www.iana.org/time-zones suggests that the latest release of the time zone database (version from 10/26/2018), states that Crimea (Ukrainian Autonomous Republic of Crimea) belongs to the time zone "MSK" and is marked with the country code "RU". This information was found in the archive, which contains the full description of the data, codes and applications, and is located at https://data.iana.org/time-zones/releases/tzdb-2018g.tar.lz. Information about the code of Crimea was found in the file "zone.tab" within the specified archive.

We consider it necessary to draw your attention to the fact that Crimea is a temporarily occupied part of Ukraine. This fact is generally acknowledged by the international community, which is confirmed by a number of international legal document, including UN General Assembly resolution.

Thus, by referring Crimea with the country code "RU", your organization actually accepts and supports the aggressive actions of the Russian Federation who’s armed forces annexed this part of Ukraine. Such recognition may be considered as a criminal offense by the Ukrainian criminal law and we will be obliged to start formal criminal proceedings as it is stipulated in article 110 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine "Infringement of territorial integrity of Ukraine".
As you probably know, the aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine is still ongoing and any ambiguous decision by countries or international organizations is used by the authorities of the aggressor country to justify their actions.

We would like to add that there are Ukrainian citizens still living in Crimea and adhere to the legislation of Ukraine. For their beliefs, such citizens are persecuted by the authorities of Russian Federation. International support for Ukrainian citizens in their aspiration to renew the territorial integrity of Ukraine is extremely important, and in this case your organization can play a positive role.

We understand the apolitical status of your organization and respect the existing rules for determining of the actual time zone, but considering the international legal status of Crimea, which is part of Ukraine, we propose to correct this mistake and to change the current version of the time zone database in order to determine that the country code of Crimea is «UA».

Best regards,
Head of the Cyberpolice Department of the National Police of Ukraine
Serhii Demediuk

tel.: +380443743738
e-mail: serhii.demediuk at cyberpolice.gov.ua
Ukraine, Kyiv