[tz] Fractional seconds in zic input

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 17:27:45 UTC 2018

On 2/5/18 05:49, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Please stop messing around, revert this patch and abandon the idea.
> TZDB needs to get back to being the pragmatic practical tool it was
> intended to be.
> Stephen
Reading https://www.iana.org/time-zones:

The Time Zone Database (often called tz or zoneinfo) contains code and
data that represent the history of local time for many representative
locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to reflect
changes made by political bodies to time zone boundaries, UTC offsets,
and daylight-saving rules. Its management procedure is documented in BCP
175: Procedures for Maintaining the Time Zone Database
<https://www.iana.org/go/rfc6557>.

The tone of the referenced BCP is in line with that.

 From the outset the data appears to have attempted to maintain an
accurate picture of the history as well as current changes.

What any group may strongly desire isn't necessarily what was intended.

As earlier stated in another thread it's a simple task to filter the
data to avoid problems with applications and operating systems and I'm
guessing such a mechanism could be built into the current distribution.