[tz] Fractional seconds in zic input

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Feb 5 18:38:56 UTC 2018

On 02/05/2018 10:21 AM, Howard Hinnant wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2018, at 1:01 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:  >> >> In that case, how about if we follow POSIX's lead and specify
nanosecond resolution as the highest the format supports? Although
that's likely overkill, it does match a widely used standard; and better
overkill than underkill. > > On Feb 4, 2018, at 7:21 PM, Howard Hinnant
<howard.hinnant at gmail.com> wrote: >> >> In choosing a finest supported
precision, I would encourage the choice of something coarser than
nanoseconds.
Suppose an old UT offset uses sexagesimal notation, or something derived
from it? In that case, the exact offset might not be representable as a
decimal number, and the nanoseconds resolution will provide a
comfortable excess of precision. Sexagesimal is not entirely
hypothetical, as we have good evidence that civil time in Vietnam from
1906 to 1911 was 104° 17′ 17″ east of Paris.

I guess I'm not seeing the harm to go with nanoseconds in the data
format; if a downstream user wants less precision they can easily round.
And following Steve Allen's lead, we can mention in the documentation
that there's no practical use of sub-millisecond precision in these old
timestamps.