[tz] Recommendations for stable list of timezone ids

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Wed Feb 14 03:43:34 UTC 2018

Goudge, Stephen said:
> Back in 2008 I posted here that I am doing pretty much exactly the same thing as requested here: basically, I have a C enum that lists out all the zones and as new ones are created this gets extended.

While I appreciate what you're doing and why, I would prefer that the
database allocated a unique persistent random number (four or five digits,
or even six with a simple check code) to each zone.

We discussed this a year ago, but from memory it got bogged down in
proposals to make the numbers match alphabetical order of names or
something like that.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.