[tz] AP & WFLA-TV: Florida House OKs bill asking to skip Daylight Saving Time

Sat Feb 17 21:47:59 UTC 2018

http://wfla.com/2018/02/14/florida-house-oks-bill-asking-to-skip-daylight-saving-time/
>> “The [Florida] House voted 103-11 to approve the bill to ask Congress to
>> let Florida remain in Daylight Saving Time all year, meaning while the rest
>> of the Eastern United States sets their clocks back in the fall, Florida
>> wouldn’t.”
> So, if I understand this, the portion of the panhandle currently in the
> Central time zone would be permanently on CDT (=EST), while the remainder of
> the state would be on permanent EDT (=AST)?> That essentially adds a brand new border all the way around the state of
> Florida, which would involve being an hour out of sync with every foreign
> neighbor (e.g. the Bahamas & Cuba, as well as with every US State and
> Canadian Province in the Central and Eastern time zones. So during standard
> time, if traveling from Miami to Nassau, you'd actually go BACK an hour.> This sounds certain to cause great confusion, not to mention the disruption
> of commerce. I wonder what the odds are that the US Feds will approve it.
> I would question disruption to commerce, but it would definitely cause
> confusion.
Given AZ, HI, PR, VI have no DST, PR and VI are on AST, the DoC may not be
able to block it if the state wants it, it may encourage the few other
Caribbean nations who still use it to drop it, and some to switch to AST.