[tz] SGT abbreviation is missing from the IANA tz database

Lu, Can can.lu at baml.com
Tue Feb 20 02:55:35 UTC 2018

Hi Paul,

Hope you're well. By way of introduction, this is Can, working as a software developer in BAML.

We noticed that Asia/Singapore had its SGT abbreviation dropped in tzdb 2017, and the reason being is that the zone abbreviation doesn't correspond to any real-world usage. But it's actually not entirely true, SGT is very commonly used in Singapore and it's also a standard abbreviation for Singapore time. Please refer to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations

Wondering if it's possible to add SGT back to IANA db as I believe this change will cause breaks to other libraries rely on it. (We're using pytz for python development). I am happy to discuss and appreciate any thoughts you may have on it.

Thanks,
Can

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.