[tz] Converting cities to tz identifiers (tangent)

Paul Ganssle pganssle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 22:07:13 UTC 2018

If what you want is that if what you *want* is "the time zone in Boston", you need to store something that means "the time zone in Boston" rather than eagerly doing the lookup. You'll have to look up the mapping between Boston <-> America/* every time because the tzdb zones do *not* represent rules for a given geographical region, they represent historically coherent rulesets.

The main problem is that doing this is *way* more complicated than picking a single time zone from the enumerable list of tzdb zones and storing *that*. If you happen to be in one of the cities the zone is named after, you'll get the right thing, but otherwise all bets are off. It's further complicated by the fact that even the geographical location <-> time zone ruleset is upset by the existence of things like Asia/Urumqi, where whether you use the ruleset is a cultural rather than geographical question.

In any case, I sympathize with the question of "US/Eastern" vs. "America/New_York". It does seem like there are times where the time zone you want is "the US Eastern time zone", regardless of whether that represents the time in New York or not, in which case you *can* eagerly map to "US/Eastern", whereas if you want "the current time in <some city>", for the most part you *cannot* eagerly map to a given time zone. This leads to the perverse result that there are times when it makes sense to store "US/Eastern", but "America/New_York" is usually at best an approximation of what you actually want (leaving aside the "coincidence" case of time in New York).

Best,
Paul