[tz] Converting cities to tz identifiers (tangent)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 21 04:14:52 UTC 2018

John Hawkinson wrote:
> The "US Eastern time zone" is coterminus with the America/New_York boundary (I think).

Not really: even inside the US, the US Eastern time zone currently also includes
America/Indiana/Indianapolis, America/Indiana/Marengo,
America/Indiana/Vincennes, America/Indiana/Petersburg, America/Indiana/Winamac,
America/Indiana/Vevay, America/Kentucky/Louisville, America/Kentucky/Monticello,
and America/Detroit. And several locations outside the US are currently in the
same time zone, e.g., America/Nassau.